Sam is available internationally to give workshops and lectures to educational institutions and corporations. These have been created from years of studying and teaching guitar, philosophy and history. All workshops and lecture aim to deliver extremely high value, high impact material in a relatively short period of time.
Workshops are designed to give students key insights into playing and how they can rapidly and consistently improve their playing.
Lectures are designed to challenge students ideas and present a perspective they may have not previous considered; to have them consider approaches to thinking and encourage open debate of the ideas and principles involved.
Lectures and workshops all include performances of Sam’s solo baroque arrangements and heavy metal record (the metal record will be performed to backing tracks).
Guitar Players Only. Allow 5 hours for duration of workshop.
This is a series of workshops for guitar players of all levels. These workshops are interactive group based workshops where students will be given a series of exercise to train their hands, their ears and their minds in the basic motions required for great lead guitar playing. The workshop is broken into four 60 minute sessions covering:
- This is a vital skill that few guitar players understand, let alone practice… or know how to practice
- The different elements of vibrato
- Training for your hands, ears and brain on getting your vibrato technique… just right
- Sweep picking
- Why this skill is vital even if you are not a shredder
- How anyone can become a great sweep picker
- An overview of the skills required
- A training program designed to program your subconscious, so you can use the skill anytime, and get it right, every time
- 2 hand synchronisation
- What two hand synchronisation is
- This is a bug weak point that prevents most guitar players from steadily improving their skills
- The theory behind improving 2 hand synchronisation
- Specific exercises the students will work through to improve their two hand synchronisation
- Lead guitar phrasing
- A comprehensive overview of different phrasing elements that can be used in your playing
- An intense training sessions in applying these phrasing elements in your playing
Students will be trained in a group on how to start mastering these techniques. Students will be shown precisely how to practice the exercises at home and how to integrate their new skills into their guitar playing.
Guitar players. Other instrumentalists can apply, but they will need a good working knowledge of pentatonic, major and minor scales on their instrument. They will not be given instrument specific advice (Sam will try, but no guarantees).
Allow 4-5 hours for duration of workshop.
Note: Using these techniques, Sam once taught an 11 year old girl who was having her first guitar lesson, how to improvise with a student that had been playing for 5 years that had a comprehensive knowledge of scales and phrasing techniques.
This is a series of workshops designed to take any guitar player from not being able to improvise, to being able to improvise. Simple and effective. Delivered in a group format, students will learn how to improvise and jam together. They will learn key strategies and techniques to help develop their improvisational skills… even if they have no idea how to improvise. Topics covered include:
- What improvisation is
- Why you want to be able to improvise
- The skills you need to be able to improvise
- Getting started
- Use of rhythm
- Use of phrasing
- Applications of theory: The appoggiatura. What it is… and how to use it… without having to think.
- The one vital skill you must develop… and how to do it
- No matter how good you can improvise… if you can’t use this one skill… it’s useless. Transition Training.
- Applications of theory: Suspensions, anticipations
- Get out of your fingers and into your brain – how to unleash creativity.
- Moving on. How to take these lessons and apply them in the future so your skills can grow.
Not only will students be given a comprehensive explanation of these topics, but they will also be trained into how to actually use them in their guitar playing.
Sam is available for lectures. Lectures vary in length and topic, but are all designed to give deep insight and perspectives into areas that musicians may not have considered, or know little about.
Talent and Epistemology
How humans learn and how we can apply that to learning music. A lecture combining empirical research and philosophy that gives an incredibly comprehensive perspective about how humans learns and the specific application to learning music. Discover the link between philosophy and learning music, what epistemology is, and how we can use our understanding of the three axiomatic concepts and apply them to learning music.
Bonus: Why do some people learn faster than others? The simple reason why and a series of simple to implement strategies you can apply to speed up how fast you learn.
The Philosophy of Money
Have you ever wondered what money is… and what money means? An interested lecture covering the idea of money. Includes a brief history of money through the ages, the philosophy of money and how different ideas about money have serious, real world implications.
What philosophy is and how it has governed the course of history
As well as being a highly advanced guitar player and musician, Sam is well read in philosophy. Get a grounding in the basics in this 45 minute lecture. Highly recommended for anyone that has never paid attention to philosophy (perfect for music students!)
Lecture and Debate: Capitalism and the 21st Century
We often hear phrases like “crony capitalism” in the news. We hear about politicians and people who call themselves intellectuals stating that capitalism has been given a fair chance, but it has failed and it is time to move on. In this lecture Sam will explore the idea of capitalism and how it has been tried and experimented with across the centuries, as well as looking at the empirical evidence for capitalism and the ideas it represents. Lecture includes the biggest reason most people object to capitalism.
How to work with professionals
If you ever wanted to work with your heroes… this is how you do it. Sam cannot guarantee it will work, but this is how he got to work with world famous artists and photographers. Learn the skills necessary and the top reasons why you might get rejected or completely ignored. Learn the mental approaches necessary to ensure a successful relationship where your work gets the best treatment possible. The simple habits you MUST HAVE, without which, no professional will work with you.
The fundamental principles that lie behind every successful person. Includes the pitfalls that can destroy people and what causes disaster in our lives. A fun lecture designed to help shape students long term.
Please note all workshops and talks will be given in English.
How To Enquire
Fill in the form and we will phone you about your enquiry